Sunday, March 16, 2014

The secret life of "The Bates's" PART 2


Young Norman Bates (left)/ Adult Norman Bates (right)

My comments and "feels" after watching  Pyscho..

           
       Well, I have just finished watching the film Psycho, and man, it is not what I expected. I suppose since I watched the show (prequel) first, it was a bit odd to see Norman as a "bad person". Since I have seen the show (prequel) before the real movie, I was also a bit confused. Confused because towards the end of the film, we find out Norman had killed his mother. The Norman in the Bates Motel wouldn't harm his mother! I mean, in the SHOW Norman and Norma fight often. However, Norman or Norma would not go so far like killing each other? Right? (Oh, I think I should just read the book!) Then again, in the show, it gives the viewers "hints" or clues to Norman having psychological issues. For instance, the father dying in the first episode of Bates Motel. I think one can infer later in the series that Norman is really the killer of his father. Also, the mother tries to cover it up because she loves her son oh-so-very much and does not want any harm to him.(whoa. that was a RUN ON)  That's where the attached relationship part comes into play. I guess, Norma would move mountains for her son. BUT then again, the show is completely-sort of different than the films.

Overall, I enjoyed the piece where the woman, named Marion, dies. That scene was epic. Hitchcock filmed this without showing any obscene body parts in a shower scene/ murder scene. Honestly, greatly depicted. I read on TCM** site that it took "seven days to film". In my opinion, that is quite absurd! Also, the weirdest part was Norman dressed up as his mother. In the beginning of the film, I would genuinely suspect the mom (Norma) murdering Marion or the detective. However, towards the end, I begun to sense Norman is behind the murders. For instance, when Norman tells the detective that he can not speak with his mother, countless number of times. Even when the detective is very persistent. Lastly, when Marion's sister and Sam go to the sheriff, he told them the mother had died a few years back.

**Sources:
1) "Behind the Camera - Psycho." Turner Classic Movies. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2014. 

Comparison of the Norman from Bates Motel and Psycho...

       In Bates Motel, Norman is a young man and in Psycho, Norman is a grown man. In Psycho, he is already his aware of his psychological traits. I thought Anthony Perkins did a great job playing Norman. In Bates Motel, Freddie Highmore, as a young Norman, is also wonderfully portrayed. I can totally now understand why and how he got his awkwardness and stuttering from.

I also like the aspect of the brother Dylan entering the story line. Max Thieriot aka Dylan, plays an estranged brother of Norman's. Norman and Dylan have different dads but the same mother. When Dylan comes into the story, Norma is way hesitant about him and is standoffish. However, as the story line progresses, Dylan grows more closer to Norman and Norma. Not in the most cute-family-bonding way, but in a more they-understand-each-other way. The most recent episode (Second season, episode two), when Norman trusts Dylan enough, he lets him in on a secret about Bradley.

I keep babbling, so the last thing I will point out is the relationship between Norma and Norman. I feel its is so extremely-over-the-top creepy. Norma literally asks Norman to do something and he does it. Like a normal obedient child is supposed to. However, when Norman goes to the therapist with his mother, he DOES NOT say a word. Norma literally speaks for him as if she is in Norman's position. Ugh. That makes me angry, like let the kid have a say in what he wants!

ANYWAYS..thank you for listening, whoever you may be. In about a few minutes, a new episode of Once Upon a Time will be airing! (Quite excited for that!)

-Dor xx

No comments:

Post a Comment